Friday, November 24, 2006

looking at life through non-colored glasses

I bought my first pair of eyeglasses last February. Actually, my sister bought me my first pair. I just paid for the lens. She offered to buy it for me as a birthday present and I said "why not?"

The first few days proved a little difficult for my adjusting eyes. The optometrist offered to give me a lower grade lens but I insisted that I be given the grade that the reading showed. It turned out she knew better. I should've listened to the more experienced one. My head ached a few days later because my eyes were not used to the glasses. Good thing I soon adjusted and I enjoy the feeling of looking scholarly. *grin*

The first time I looked around me through the eyeglasses I couldn't quite believe how sharp the colors of things could be. I was nearly ecstatic. (in mild exaggeration, go figure) Then someone told me that it is the usual feeling of anyone who's wearing eyeglasses for the first time. To think that I made myself believe I was special and the experience is unique for me. Well, it turned out anyone who wears eyeglasses feels the same way. Talk about crushed feeling..

So how do I see life through non-colored glasses? Three months after I first wore one I still couldn't answer this question. I supposed I've been so used to seeing it through rose-colored glasses. Or to be completely honest, through gray-colored glasses (is there such a thing?)

Oftentimes I still am the idealistic individual I once was when I was starting college studies. I still believe that long conversations with people who mean to me are not wasted time. I still smile at the recollection of funny experiences even when I'm alone and I look foolish to anyone who sees me. I still believe in the inherent goodness of people and their capacity to change for the better. I still cry at sappy old movies even those I've seen for the nth time. I still cry at pocketbooks that evoke certain feelings. I still am the mushy person who is fond of writing letters and notes to loved ones and trivial, silly things in my little notebook.

On the other hand, I am still my cynical, old self. I still mutter to myself and curse silently when I get mad at someone. I still feel my karma will catch up on me soon enough and I'll feel the brunt of fate. I still am afraid of cockroaches and scream like crazy whenever I see on flying through the air. I still am selfish (more than I'd care to admit). I still am the immature person I was 10 years ago. So how do I see life through non-colored glasses? You tell me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home