Friday, November 24, 2006

A Morning Like Any Other

Consciousness slowly seeps into my being as the rays of the morning sun break through the curtains that are almost gray with dust. I stirred on my bed, let out a grunt and stretched my thin frame. As usual, I awoke before the alarm on my phone got the chance to ring. Not wanting to fall asleep again, a habit I've had difficulty kicking, I rose from my bed. Climbing down from the bed (I occupy the upper bunk of a double-deck bed) my mind wanders to the laundry I have to do before I go to the office. Thus starts my day, one like any other.

Getting a morning bath in a boarding house full of students who stay up til the early morning hours and queue their toiletries at the door of the bathroom before catching a few hours of sleep is not really that difficult. After all, I am one of the older people and a little seniority counts when it has to count. Anyway, a 5-minute shower is almost unnoticeable. These days bring a lull in the usual morning frenzy since it is semestral break and most of the house occupants have gone home. Ironing the clothes I have to wear to the office follows my bath as my usual morning routine. Coffee which is considered staple drink has to wait until I get to the office.

Beating the 9:00 am bundy time proves easier said than done. But living relatively nearer the office just makes it possible. The key is to make sure that the rush hour traffic is avoided by leaving the house early enough or almost late enough. The almost late enough works fine for me. It just leaves me a minute or two before I time in late. And wouldn't that bring a grin on your face every morning? Just beating the clock does make me smile. Shallow but true.

After a mug of steaming 3-in-1 coffee (I'd much prefer brewed coffee but it just doesn't exist in this office) I am ready to face the day hoping that I'd encounter not much of the usual blunder in this monotonous activity called office work. And like I said, a morning like any other...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home